Saturday 5 January 2008

My December.

'Well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't f**k anything else up.'
Kate Nash - Stitching Leggings

This post should cover a few things, the last month, my hopes for this year and a few other odds and
ends. I stand by my comments about last GC and I look forward to seeing a broader and more representative perspective from more of our Guild Councillors. We, as an organisation, need it. I do belive it can happen and I'm hopeful. I'm also pleased to lend my support to candidates for NUS National Executive elections. Thus far I am publically supporting, and will submit nominations for: Gaz Hughes (LGBT Open Place), Wes Streeting (President) and Richard 'Bubble' Budden (National Secretary).

Away from politics for 1 sec, on December 16th I went and saw: The Spice Girls! Yes, allow me my shallow trash in the holidays but that was a little bit epic. If you haven't seen 'Holler' live, you may as well not have lived. I also saw the Manics, they 
were lovely too.
I've also had a lovely break at home, made an absurd amount of Chinese food and spent a week in Israel, which was lovely. 
There was a lot of food for thought, especially post the Annapolis talks and there were many conversations I was fortunate enough to have with journalists on both sides of the divide as to how realistic this all is. I also heard Shimon Peres, the President, giving a talk to some very sycophantic Americans and nearly had to leave the room for cringing. Some things are just uncomfy.


Back to Guild-land. Preparations for the LGBTQ priority campaign and History month are underway, there were a couple of meetings in week 11 and the outcomes have been very positive. I had a long meeting with Emma O'Dwyer, the association chair, to discuss how best to work together on this and drive the campaign forward. Sometimes in life you are just bloody lucky about the people you get to work with.

I regret to state that I will not be around for the Guild's referendum campaign conclusion. I have been invited on a seminar in New York about LGBTQ Jewish students and I feel that for a weekend with free flights I would be stupid not to go.

I'm working on my next GC report and I'll cya soon.




No comments: