Saturday 1 December 2007

Homophobia is Gay 2



'Let's dance! Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.'
David Bowie - Let's Dance

So, welcome to my officer blog. On my old blog I always started each post with a vaguely appropriate song lyric or quote. Don't get confused, that's meant to be there.

Oh, yeah, did I mention there was a bar crawl? Did I also mention it was the biggest event in recent uni memory for both the LGBTQ and Liberal Democrats? Did I mention all the proceeds go towards a campaign to combat Homophobia is halls; a campaign both developed and voted on by LGBTQ students? Did I mention that the woman who kicked this off isn’t even LGBTQ? Isn’t that just a little bit extraordinary? Guild Councillors, Executive committee, all students at Birmingham, I invite you to tip your hats to Elaine Bagshaw. I invite you to doff your cap to Emma O’Dwyer. I have no more hat based compliments.
What happened on the night of the 29th November 2007 was an amazing blend of social activity, liberation intentions and student inclusion. I said on that bloody awful poster of me that all students should want to care about liberation, and there’s proof in these images. That makes me so happy as a student officer you have no idea.
Still, the event was not without incident, one participant was spat at on the bus, just because the word ‘gay’ was on her T-Shirt. There is a reason we have liberation officers, a reason we lend time and importance to these campaigns. Hate crime still happens, bullying still happens, discrimination still happens. I won’t be satisfied until it stops and neither should you be.

No comments: